Your Rights

Your Rights as a Defendant in Glendale Municipal Court

Be advised that you have the following rights regarding your case:

  • You have the right to remain silent and to make no statement at all regarding the charge(s). Any statement you make can and may be used against you in court.
  • You have the right to an attorney. If you cannot afford an attorney, and you qualify financially, and there is a possibility of jail as punishment, the court will appoint an attorney to represent you at no cost. A reasonable continuance of the arraignment will granted for the purpose of getting legal advice, upon request.
  • You have the right to an explanation of the charge(s) against you and the maximum penalty that the court may impose. A fine of up to $1,000, one year in the Arapahoe County Jail, or both, are the maximum penalties that can be imposed for a violation of a Glendale city ordinance or criminal traffic offense. A fine of up to $1,000 is the maximum penalty for a traffic infraction. Payment is expected at time of sentencing unless the Court finds inability to pay.
  • You have the right to bail, if you are in custody at the time of your arraignment.
  • You have the right to be presumed innocent of the charge(s), which continues until a plea of guilty or the prosecution presents evidence at trial that proves beyond a reasonable doubt that you are guilty of every element of the offense(s) charged.
  • You have the right to a trial, either to the judge or to a jury, if applicable. A jury demand must be in writing within 21 days accompanied by a $25 jury fee. Otherwise, the trial will be to a judge.
  • At a trial, you will have the right to confront and cross-examine any witnesses who testify against you. You can present evidence in your defense and to compel witnesses to appear and testify on your behalf by asking the court to issue subpoenas at no expense to you. You have the right to testify or to remain silent. If you choose to remain silent it cannot be held against you.
  • If you are convicted at trial, you have the right to present matters to the judge before sentence is imposed and to appeal any judgement within 35 days to the Arapahoe County District Court.
  • If you are not a citizen of the United States, a conviction of a municipal ordinance violation may have additional immigration consequences. You may wish to seek legal advice.